With all the new and improved technology included in new Volkswagen models, it can be overwhelming to learn how everything works. We wanted to make it easier for you by helping you learn how to use one of these features—Adaptive Cruise Control—in new Volkswagen models. Continue reading to learn how it works and how you can put it to use.
What is Adaptive Cruise Control?
First off, it’s important to understand what Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is. Like regular cruise control, ACC is designed to maintain a constant speed between about 20 mph and 95 mph. However, ACC adds the element of maintaining a distance interval between you and the car ahead of you, slowing down and speeding up as necessary.
7 Steps to use ACC in VW vehicles
- To turn the system on, press the on/off button on the left side of the steering wheel.
- Accelerate to your desired speed and press the SET button on the steering wheel. The + and – buttons allow you to increase or decrease cruise control speed. A short press increases/decreases by 1 mph, while a long press increases/decreases in increments of 5 mph.
- Choose between 5 distance settings by pressing the distance button (in between the + and – buttons). Press the + or – buttons immediately after pressing the distance button to increase or decrease the distance between you and the vehicle ahead.
- When the vehicle ahead slows down, ACC will slow your vehicle to maintain the set distance. The system can even brake to a standstill, if necessary.
- Once the slower vehicle moves out of the way (or speeds up), ACC accelerates your vehicle back to your preset speed.
- If ACC stops your vehicle completely, all you have to do is press and release the gas pedal to resume the ACC settings, as long as the vehicle ahead of you is also moving.
- To deactivate Adaptive Cruise Control, briefly press the on/off button on the steering wheel or press the brake pedal.
If you have any questions or run into any issues while using Adaptive Cruise Control in your Volkswagen vehicle, feel free to contact our team at Quirk Volkswagen or reach out to your local Volkswagen dealership.